Pulicat (Pazhaverkadu) is close to 60 kms from Chennai and close to the Tamil Nadu – Andhra Pradesh border. It is the second largest brackish water lagoon in South Asia. It can be a one day trip from Chennai – spend close to 4 hours in Pulicat and 3 hours to drive.
We were lucky to come across the tour by AARDE foundation on the occasion of Madras Day 2014 (23rd Aug) and we reserved a place for us @ Rs. 850 per person – including AC bus to Pulicat, breakfast and lunch. The tour guide was one Mr. Xavier from AARDE foundation.
The only thing I knew Pulicat was for boating in the brackish water lagoon and bird-sighting. But unfortunately that is banned now and we couldn’t do that during this trip. But after the tour I realized that there was a lot history attached to this place.
Things to do (or things I did):
- Dutch cemetery (1658 AD)
- Fort Geldria – built by Dutch in 1613 AD. There is nothing to see here. The fort, I was told, must have been completely destroyed by the British during 1825 AD.
- Boat ride in the lagoon (which is legally banned and we didn’t do it. really!), if you do, you can spot a lot of migratory birds.
This is a one day trip. 10 hours is more than enough. I would suggest you start early from Chennai(5 AM), boat rides can be really tough if it’s sunny.
- Those interested in architecture and history.
- Those interested in bird photography.
- Kids(below 15) might get bored.
- Sunscreen lotion
I’ll let the photos speak: