We were in Trissur, Kerala to attend a wedding and the plan was to go to Munnar after that. But I decided to drop some of our friends in Cochin and then drive to Munnar. On our way to Cochin, I saw a sign that said “Athirapally 30 kms”, we had to take a detour and we took it. It was absolutely worth it.
The roads from the NH till the Falls are in a great condition and view was lush green.
Information on Athirapally Falls:
- It is open from 8 AM to 5 PM. Sooner you go, lesser the crowd. Close to the entrance of the falls, there are a lot of small hotels and tea shops. So you can reach there early and have breakfast from there.
- Entry into the river is prohibited.
- Ticket costs are Rs. 20(other nationals – Rs.60) for adults and Rs. 2 for children. Still cameras (Rs.10) and Video cameras (Rs. 100). Parking charges for a car is Rs. 10
- There is also trekking available. From 3 hour treks to 2 day treks. One needs to contact the Divisional Forest Officer for these – 0480 – 2701713
- There are a LOT of hotels/resorts (small to luxurious) on the way to the falls. You can stay in any one of those, if you are going for this trek.
- There is also a Changing room for ladies, but one is not allowed to get in the river(?!)
- There is a souvenir shop near the falls.
- Please do not litter.
Details of treks from Athirapally falls and vazhachal division:
There is a good cobbled pathway from the entrance till the river/falls.
Good music, Good car, Good roads and great company… made it a wonderful detour.